Richmond was founded in 1798 by Colonel John Miller, a Revolutionary War soldier. In 1798, the Kentucky Legislature authorized the moving of the Madison County seat from nearby Milford to the land owned by Col. MIller. The move was bitterly opposed by about 300 residents of Milford and a fight to retain the seat resulted between Dave Kennedy, who represented Milford, and William Kearly, who represented the new site.
Although history does not record the results of the brawl, the county approved the move in March 1798 and two acres of land were purchased from Col. Miller. Court was held in his barn. On July 4, 1798, the site was officially named Richmond in honor of Miller’s birthplace, Richmond, Virginia.